Department of Earth Sciences ETH, Natural Sciences East (NE) – Natural Sciences West (NW), Zurich
A high hall and proportions straightened out
Fundamentally it was a question of re-conceiving the two architectural languages represented in the building. The core of the building originates from 1912 - 1916 and it was extended - and spoiled - in the 60s.
The refurbishment is a classic example of how to treat a national monument. Openness, light and clear structures are now once again the dominant features of the ETH building. This is exemplified by the atrium hall: with its three floors, it has regained its impressive height. New staircases in a voluminous space connect the hall with the entrance level. The elegant exhibition structure represents an additional, new feature.
The cost-effectiveness of the building has also been raised by optimising the laboratories and combining the institutes as well as through structural renovations and technical improvements.
The three-story atrium opens up unobstructed to its fullest effect, giving free reign to the interplay of matte and gloss.
|Contact person||Christoph Arpagaus|
|Client||ETH Zurich, Buildings Department|
|General planner||ANS Architekten AG|
|Exhibition planner||Holzer Kobler Architekturen|
|Start of construction||NW 2005
|Start of operation||2009|
|Floor area||27 070 m2|
|Construction volume||91 000 m3|
|Photos||Brigitt Lattmann, Gränichen|