Federal Palace West Wing, Bern
New splendour for important representative building
The west wing of the Federal Palace built from 1852 to 1857 houses the offices of two Federal Councillors and the Federal Chancellery as well as the meeting room of the Federal Council. The rooms had been adapted to meet the needs of the time purely on pragmatic grounds.
The aim of the refurbishment was to restore the building to meet the standard expected of a national monument - and to bring it up to date technically, e.g. by installing an ingenious, prototypical disabled lift at the main entrance.
One of the first steps was to look for and secure evidence of the historical structure during work which was carried out in various stages and at different working depths between 2008 and 2010 with the building largely in operation.
|Contact person||Christoph Arpagaus|
|Client||Federal Office of Construction and Logistics (BBL)|
|Architects||Itten+Brechbühl AG; Flury und Rudolf Architekten|
|General contractors||Itten+Brechbühl AG|
|Start of construction||2008|
|Start of operation||2008-2010|
|Floor area||15,760 m2|
|Construction volume||55,000 m3|
|Photos||Philipp Zinniker, Bern; Rudolf Steiner, Biel/Bienne|