Machine laboratory ETH Zurich
Following in the footsteps of IttenBrechbühl co-founder Salvisberg
ETH's machine laboratory is situated in the middle of Zurich's university district. The building complex constructed between 1930 and 1935 dates back to designs made by Otto Rudolf Salvisberg - co-founder of IttenBrechbühl along with Otto Brechbühl. The building represents a perfect example of the approach of moderate modernism. It is listed in the Swiss directory of protected buildings.
The building work comprises refurbishing the building shell and the technical systems, dismantling the boilers in the power station, strengthening the supporting structure with regard to earthquakes, guaranteeing fire prevention, redesigning various access zones and extending the usable space. The work will be carried out while the laboratory is operating.
|Contact person||Alain Krattinger|
|Client||ETH Zurich, Real Estate Infrastructure Area|
|Architect /general planner||Itten+Brechbühl AG|
|Planning||2013 - 2020|
|Start of construction||2016|
|Start of operations||in stages starting from 2018|
|Floor space||10 500 m2|
|Construction volume||53 800 m3|